Friday, July 15, 2011

I.Need.Help.On.Knitting.?.:D.?

I am a self taught knitter for about 5 years now and since I don't have a yarn store in my town my experience with different yarns is limited. When it comes to knitting needles it all comes down to personal preference. I absolutely love bamboo knitting needles! I like all sizes and lengths. The size needles I use the most are 5.0mm, 5.5mm, 6.0mm, 6.5mm, and a set of very large size 17 needles. In my town (@ Wal-Mart) we only have 100% cotton yarn, Red Heart Acrylic, and Simply Caron. I bought some of the cheap yarn Michaels sells (can't remember the name of it) once and some Deborah Norvill yarn. The problem I had as a beginning knitter was thread splitting. Caron yarn is several small strands twisted into yarn. I could not us it at first but I do love it now after some practice. I think the best yarn for a beginner to use is the cheap kind at Michaels it sort of has a generic label. It does not split at all and is easy to work with and comes in lots of colors. It is acrylic yarn so you don't have to worry with it as much as Wool. The regular Red Heart yarn is rough but it would do to practice. I did like the Deborah Norville yarn also. I really want to try some cashmere yarn. As far as what needle to use with which yarn, the yarn wrapper will tell you what size needle to use for that particular yarn. Circular needles are a must in your knitting kit. Circulars allow you to make things larger than 14 inches. As I grow as a knitter I am beginning to use more metal because I have more control of the needles where as before the stitches kept slipping off. I am really eying some of the ebony knitting needles which are expensive but so very pretty. My advice is buy common size needles and just decide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment